nio-managed cloud instance
While the true power of the nio Platform is experienced when you have multiple local installations communicating across a distributed network, we also offer the ability to spin up nio-managed cloud instances through the nio System Designer.
A nio-managed cloud instance allows you to get up and running quickly and to start building services right away.
You can also choose to start with one of our system templates to quickly explore and configure annotated, pre-built systems.
- A nio account: Sign up here
Create a system
A system is a group of interrelated elements. In the nio System Designer, a system contains interrelated nio instances. Think of it as a workspace where you can put related projects.
- Open the System Designer: https://app.n.io/design.
- Click the add new system card on the screen.
Complete the create new system modal:
- In the system name box, enter a name for your system.
- In the template dropdown, you can keep the default blank system or select a system template.
- Click accept.
Your system has just spun up with a nio-managed Pubkeeper server. Pubkeeper is the network communications broker that enables elements in a nio system (other nio instances, UIs, or non-nio applications that use the Pubkeeper client) to talk to each other directly and securely.
[info] Pubkeeper server credentials
To access your Pubkeeper credentials:
- In the app switcher on the left side of the System Designer, click the design app icon.
- You can see the configuration of the cloud Pubkeeper server if you hover over a system card and click the edit icon in the toolbar.
Create a nio-managed cloud instance
A cloud instance is a running version of nio that is installed in the cloud and managed by niolabs.
- From within your system, click add instance on the left side of the System Designer.
- Check the cloud instance checkbox if it is not checked automatically.
- Complete the add instance window.
- In the instance name box, enter a name for your instance.
- Click accept.
Congratulations, you've set up a cloud instance!
If you are wondering how to use your cloud instance, head over to the workshops at workshops.n.io!
If you selected a system template, you should already have an instance (or two) pre-populated with some annotated services, ready for you to explore. See more information about system templates here: workshops.n.io/system-templates.